Submitted by: Jamie
Do you have a picture of this recipe? Use the photo upload feature on the submit a recipe page or e-mail a photo to us at email@example.com.
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
- 1 lb ground sirloin, turkey or chicken
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into rough cubes
- salad lettuce mix or spinach
- black beans
- olive oil
- favorite taco seasoning mix
- minced garlic
- hot sauce
- onion powder (or real but it takes longer)
- sour cream (optional)
- shredded cheese (optional)
- jalapeno pepper
- thinking about corn to add a little extra mexican flavor
1. Heat oil on medium-high in a 1-qt pot (enough oil to cover the bottom). Add 1 or 2 cans black beans and enough water to just cover the beans. Add salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, cumin, and a couple dashes of hot pepper sauce, to taste. Bring to boil, and stir frequently to prevent sticking/burning. I usually let it hard boil the entire time the meat is cooking to get rid of as much water as possible.
2. While you are waiting for the beans to boil, brown the meat. Add seasoning packet and 3/4 cup water. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
3. Put avocado in a bowl with 1-2 tablespoons of lime juice to prevent it from turning brown. Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Then add salt, pepper, garlic, cumin (or fresh cilantro), and onion powder to taste. Add a dash of hot pepper sauce. Add a tsp of finely diced jalapeno (optional). Stir to combine and to soak up all the liquid.
4. By now the meat and beans should be done. Combine all your ingredients. I usually throw the lettuce first (use a lot of lettuce it vanishes quickly) and top it with meat, a little cheese so it melts then beans (I use a slotted spoons so I don’t get a lot of sauce). The avocado mix (technically guacomole but i like it chunky it gives more texture) 2 tablespoons of you favorite salsa and 1 teaspoon or 2 of sour cream (hey I don’t do coffee and Tim said no more than 2tbs of cream in coffee was cool so what can it hurt). And then top it all with sliced jalapeno. Serve. Editor’s note: If you are following the diet strictly, omit the sour cream and cheese.
“It is a pretty dish at this stage and this would be where I would serve it. But if it is just for you mix it all up and get everything coated with the avocado, salsa, sour creamy goodness. Eat. Enjoy.”